Sunday, May 18, 2008
It hit me yesterday that while we're brooding about our petty little problems about life, school, relationships, whatever, people in China and Myanmar are in agony and misery, mourning over the loss of their loved ones. Worst still, some don't even know if their loved ones are alive or dead. And they just cling on to the thin strands of hope, though chances of survival seems pretty foggy.
God has means and ways of testing the patience of His people and I seriously think we should consider ourselves very lucky. Think about how lucky we are not to be tested in that way. I assume He knows better, I think we here are merely too weak. Our level of tolerance is nothing compared to what they have tolerate on a daily basis. Here in Singapore we have people commiting suicide over exam grades, over a piling debt. But look at people who get it tougher than us. Some have become orphans, some have been widowed ovenight, they lose their homes, their families, they are alone. Some have to simply go on albeit not knowing if their loved ones are alive, or having to remember the image of their loved ones dead, piled under a rubble, limbs mangled and entangled, limp and lifeless.
I think it's all about how we embrace life. Yes, we can be proud to live in a country that's developed, ever-ahead, forward looking, whatever. We are better-off than those villagers in terms of education and skills. But sometimes, it helps to look at what we don't have and try to gain something that they have. And that is patience, tolerance, humbleness and faith. And that is when we realise, God made us equal. Though we may have our strengths to be proud about, remember at what we don't have. Everyone of us here lacks something that another person has. May it be money, may it be in terms of personality, skills, but let it be known, He has His reasons. Gosh, now I sound like some kind of holy preacher.
I admit; I fall victim to this as well. I am guilty of getting emotionally worked up over issues which are actually a minute fraction of the difficulties others have to face. And with that, I think I shall try to be more thankful for what I have, and always be humble for it will not mean that I have it all.
Labels: it's about time
X O X O; 12:49 pm